C&C Official Site
Mailing List
Monday Sessions
Tuesday Sessions
Thursday Sessions
Weekend & Long Runs
Training/Race Routes
Diary [more]
Tuesday 19th
• Endurance Training (Wilberforce Road)
Thursday 21st
• Endurance Training (Wilberforce Road)
Sunday 24th
• Colchester Half Marathon
• Oakley 20
• Thorney 10K
• Wymondham 20
Monday 25th
• Monday Groups (Wilberforce Road)
News Index
Fixtures Index
Results Index
Photo Galleries
C&C Mugshots
C&C Forum
Latest: Fri 23/09/16 15:26
Race Reports
C&C Road Rankings
Search Performances
Public Documents
Club Documents
Club Newsletters
Officials Pics
Race Results Archive
Full results including Cambridge Cambourne 10K to 2013
Performance Calculator
About runcambridge.org.uk
Race Reports [Reports Index]

Snowdonia Marathon
Saturday 24th October 2015

(This is all me me me because I didn't see any of our other runners except Ben briefly afterwards! As copied from the RW 'Sub 3' forum.)

So... what a race. I said 2:50 would be great, 2:55 fair, and 3:00 disappointing. It has about 3000 feet of climb/descent and it started in lashing rain too. But half way through the race I was kidding myself it could be 2:45 (13M in sub-1:22) -- I've found I'm surprisingly unslowed in hill training compared to the flat, because the uphill grind is compensated for so well by the downhill 'loping' I've been practising. Yeah, right... still 2 climbs to go and only one of those would repay me, as the second one was a bit disastrous. Also I was inevitably doing it all by feel, and though I overtook 1/3 of the field ahead of me at 5M by the end, I think I was still blowing up a bit in the latter stages, though as this coincided with the toughest hill it was hard to say.

I had a 'yellow warning light' from my left hip adductor at around 12M, when a few people otherwise unaccountably passed me, and that niggled again a bit on the last climb. But though I cursed it as a wildcard problem, it never worsened, and I forgot about it later. And I went through a stupidly euphoric patch at about 19M and took several scalps. So euphoric I went back for a plastic cup I dropped -- what a goody two-shoes -- which may have cost me a place at the end in fact (8 sec gap).

But the big deal, as veterans of the course will know, is the downhill from 24.5M for half a mile or two. After 90% tarmac (or stony track), after the morning downpour, I found myself sliding Bambi-like, utterly out of control, down a saturated grass/mud/stone path of evil gradient. I was utterly terrified and couldn't do anything (well, except stop and shuffle down on my ar$e I suppose). I crashed twice onto my back, bashing my head slightly too, and lost a couple of places while wailing desperately for my Mummy. I almost cried with relief when we picked up tarmac again, the Hyperspeed 6's re-engaged grip, and I could resume my well-rehearsed 'flying', which I was pleased with -- quads were still up for it on a 1 in 6 or something at about 26M -- but though I retook one place like that, and held 5:30/M or so through the village, I didn't catch the other.

Scores on the doors: 2:54:28 by my watch; I thought I came 12th, guy behind me reckoned I was 11th, web chip results 10th (woo hoo -- prize!), but I later heard the posted results had me 12th and only 3rd MV45 [actually 2nd]. Stupid back-of-number chips maybe didn't work for a couple of guys in front of me (and by hand-waving extrapolation, about 400 others behind). No official results when I last looked, maybe indicating a technical problem. Mile splits ranged from 5:08 (flying down) to 9:02 (grinding up), to give you an idea of the 'variety'.

Then instead of getting to see my clubmates come in, the first aiders spotted that I was dripping blood and called me into their tent (twice) for patching up. There was in fact a short queue of guys with identical injuries (and shoes in one case). Turns out I had some quite deep lacerations so hospital was encouraged; instead of socialising at the presentations, I therefore asked the SatNav for hospitals, picked one en route to home, and got my arm anaesthetised, cleaned out (with tweezers and a kind of spiky washing-up sponge), yielding a fair few bits of souvenir Snowdon rock, grass and mud, X-rayed to check there was nothing left, then sewn up and dressed. All very slick I should say -- top marks to the Royal Shrewsbury.

Now I had saved a pair of part-worn-down XTalon212s for this very race as a road/trail compromise, but after some agonising, went for the lighter road shoes I knew would be faster and more comfortable for 95% of the race. And I would have been OK if the weather had remained dry for another few hours. Better keep those XTs in a cupboard in case I do it again...

The next day, I woke up to find I had mercifully light DOMS. Oh yeah, full-on 800m vertical marathon race, I'm trained for that, any time! Like judging a hangover before you've sobered up. By the evening I was a wreck with seriously stiff legs, a throbbing arm, and sleep deprivation. Already a lot better today though so I'll be out of the woods soon enough (local HM race in 3 weeks).

Overall -- a good one for the story-books. And as I told the motorbike cameraman who accompanied me for a while on top of the last hill, it really was stunning up there. A very different kind of marathon, but a splendid and epic one.

All content © runcambridge.org.uk and individual contributors 2006-2019 unless stated, and must not be reproduced.
Views on this site are those of the individual contributors only.
No responsibility is taken for the accuracy of any information provided.
For official C&C information, visit the Cambridge and Coleridge Athletic Club official site.